Friday, January 8, 2016

An unbalanced plane of power

Humiliation has never been too far for us in Sri Lanka. The land of the evergreen (once upon a time) has seen us also turn green over the years at government offices and at the hands of the officers of law.

It is easy to see, power corrupts, and the lack of united action of the Sri Lankan citizens to stand for our rights ensures it remains the same in the foreseeable future. Let me take three easy examples. 01 the police, 02 customs officials and 03 local politicos. These are all examples from factors of life in Lanka, usually connected with emotions such as distaste and fear. 

The police are hated and despised. I have only had three brief but memorable (due to their rarity) meetings of police officers who were, truly what the entire force should be for us. One was a gentleman who caught me overtaking a lorry up Saradiel's mountain (mawanella) and warned me and let me go. I was so surprised when this gentleman asked me where I was coming from, where I was going and looked me directly in the eyes and said, son be careful and drive with care and handed me the license back. The other gentleman was a Director of the PSD who I got to associate via my father. He too helped the law be implemented when a drunk man troubled us some time back. The final was in Kalkuda when me and my MBA batch-mates were fortunate to hear of a school provisions aid camp organised by the Police there, for which we also donated books and stationary. 

We despise them because of the way they bend the rules for profit. They are themselves mostly drunk when they stop cars to inspect for drunkenness. They violate the women who come for their aid in their darkest hour or beat evidence out from innocents. They are tools of politicians, drug lords and prostitution gangs. The main reasons for this is in my view, the low pay they receive, the harsh working conditions, long hours and mostly the power they posses, a power which is hardly in check or can be refuted by the majority of citizens.

Customs officials, well I'll refer to this article for why this example came to my mind to. They also are not in check unless such a large scam is brought to notice. I can also remember the hardship I had to go through to release a wedding jacket I received from abroad, and how I had to pay a sum, which I was then lead to believe was paid legally, of which some portion I believe was 'mis-placed' in the pocket of a customs officer.

Politicians, members of the parliament and ministers of public offices. They would do almost any crime. Some do have periods of good will and genuine care for us citizens. Yet after a few months in office, start to peel off the sheepskin. Damage and profit off the best in nature, kill-maim and corrupt for personal gain and stand above the law.

It is high time the people of this country put away petty quarrels and unite to push for a better tomorrow. Not just better than now, but truly a place where society is equal to the paradise on earth this land is. Let me wish this new year 2016 to be the year that we move towards this united path.



No comments:

Post a Comment